We have decided. We are going to wear traditional Bavarian clothes for the wedding. G in lederhosen and me in a dirndl. For those who perhaps don't know, lederhosen are traditional leather pants or shorts that men wear and dirndl are those milkmaid/Heidi dresses you see the women wearing. I'm wearing one in my profile picture in fact.
There are several reasons we decided to do this.
1. As we decided that the wedding here in Germany is likely to be small with big parties back in Australia and Canada, it would make for good pictures when we went back to said places in our "Trachten" (traditional clothing). Most people haven't seen that type of clothing, so they would find it interesting.
2. It would feel comfortable. I'm used to wearing a dirndl and G has lederhosen too and we wear them often enough that they wouldn't feel weird to wear.
3. It's not clothing that we would only wear that time and never again. While we still live here in Germany, there are plenty of opportunities to wear Trachten.
4. It won't cost the earth. Although you can spend a lot of money on this type of clothing, the industry isn't already trying to gouge you by saying "Oh, it's your special day, you should spend the money". There are lots of nice outfits to be had for a reasonable price.
This is probably the main reason:
5. Part of the reason G and I got together in the first place was that he was interested in joining the Bavarian oom-pah-pah band that I play in. In fact, he did join it, after borrowing my old cornet for the first 5 months. When the band has a concert, we also play in Trachten, although there's a set uniform. So, in a way, it would be significant to show what brought us together.
So although it won't be a standard white dress, it will still have a lot of meaning. And I still get to go shopping! Yippee!
"Do It Yourself" Wedding Tips - Save!